[sword-devel] YouVersion application for facebook

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at suneidesis.com
Sat Nov 13 03:47:09 MST 2010

On Sat, 13 Nov 2010, David Haslam <dfhmch at googlemail.com> wrote:

> This message is not intended to be an advert, merely to illustrate what
> other agencies are doing to engage people with Scripture.
>
> There is a now a http://www.facebook.com/YouVersion YouVersion
> application for facebook.
>
> What can we learn from this approach?

Your message arrived with one from Friends Reunited about how they were
now hosting games on their site. The juxaposition of the two suggests
triviality, frivolity and time-wasting. While YouVersion are putting their
application online from sound motives (I presume) I wonder whether such
approaches are actually going to result in even less Bible reading and
serious study than there is in the church already.

Not that Bible reading by the laity hasn't been an issue since Paul's day
--- tomorrow's Anglican lectionary reading is 2 Thess 3 which I'm taking a
break from rehearsing to sign with this email. Or since the catechismistic
4th century when the church fathers complained that congregants did not
"read" the scriptures themselves at home.

I always counter Edmund Hillary's dictum of "because it was there" with
just because you can doesn't mean you should.

And I won't even mention the specific security issues with facebook.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!