[sword-devel] Why does mod2osis omit titles in the output?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 18:25:21 MST 2010

A part of my sanity goes away every time someone asks any question
about the quality of mod2osis when they've been around these forums
before.

http://tinyurl.com/23vewgb

In particular look at number 5 on that list.

The mod2osis as included in the engine does not even produce
well-formed XML let alone valid OSIS.  This has long been the case and
might long be the case.  I have hacked it and have a version which
produces valid OSIS for KJV if I compile it one way and for WEB if I
compile it another way.

Some modules are never going to be able to produce valid OSIS with
mod2osis because their import was broken and that was preserved by
osis2mod.  Others might never be valid, because the engine's filters
for GBF2OSIS and ThML2OSIS are not great.  Even the engine's OSIS2OSIS
filter produces invalid OSIS in the KJV.  And while I can make my way
around C, I despise the language, so I probably won't be doing much to
increase the quality of those filters.

So unless someone steps up to make the *2OSIS filters work correct, we
fix the markup issues in all the modules AND I put more work into
finishing mod2osis for non-Bible content, mod2osis is likely to never
work.

Now if only there was a way to get this response sent automatically to
anyone who asks on the list about why mod2osis seems to be having
trouble........

--Greg