[sword-devel] Volunteer for Data Harvesting Palaeographic Tables

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed Nov 10 14:38:05 MST 2010

Thanks for all the feedback, personal and private, everyone.

I've heard suggestions from Peter and Jerry regarding gimp's tools, and
from DJ Ortley about a tool called ImageJ which allow simple macro
definitions which would allow one to drag a polygon around a cell and
hit a key to execute a macro to copy, and save clipboard as... or similar.

Great suggestions.

Just a clarify a few things.  We don't want each letter split out into a
separate image, just each handwritten cell in the table.

So, in my original example for the first couple lines from the first
page, the line:

Alpha | Α | alpha1.png | alpha2.png | alpha3.png | a

specifies that the image alpha1.png contain the entire cell row1, column
3 which has 4 handwritten alpha.  Not sure if that was clear or not, so
wanted to make sure in case anyone thought the work was ~4x the effort.
 Also the non-handwritten stuff would simply need to be typed (Greek
keyboard knowledge necessary).

No time limits.  Transcribers were just talking about tools that would
really help them in their work and mentioned that they regularly
reference these tables, along with a few other resources.  We're trying
to automate (well, in today's terms) their current workflow, which
currently consists of pdfs, poor microfilm scans, assignments in excel,
and typing in transcriptions in notepad :)

Thanks again for considering!

Troy