[sword-devel] Volunteer for Data Harvesting Palaeographic Tables

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Nov 10 10:00:01 MST 2010

Not immediately volunteering....

Troy, the pages are very regular and neatly black and white. The main problem is that they are not completely straight.

My feels is this should be possible programmaticaly
- straighten pages
- create cells
- use a cutting tool, probably an intelligent one to actually lift only the letters.

Gimp offers a python interface and is presumably capable of dealing with this.

Maybe someone with Gimp and python experience is your best bet

Peter

> Von: "Troy A. Griffitts" <scribe at crosswire.org>
> An: SWORD Developers\' Collaboration Forum <sword-devel at crosswire.org>
> Betreff: [sword-devel] Volunteer for Data Harvesting Palaeographic Tables

> We have a project here at ITSEE which could really use the data from the
> out-of-copyrighted work available here:
>
> http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Das_Buch_der_Schrift_%28Faulmann%29_186.jpg
>
> Pages 186 - 192
>
> What we need is for someone to use the full resolution images and cut
> the images for each cell in the table into their own .png file, and then
> create a table (excel or openoffice calc is fine) of the data in the
> tables there.
>
> So, basically something like:
>
> Alpha | Α | alpha1.png | alpha2.png | alpha3.png | a
>
> Beta | Β | beta1.png | beta2.png | beta3.png | b

> I am not underestimating the amount of time it will take to clip .png
> files from those pages.  It is a huge task and would be immensely
> appreciated and helpful for our manuscript transcribers.
>
> If multiple people are willing to help, maybe we could divide up the
> pages.
>

> Hope you will prayerfully consider helping,
>
> Troy

GRATIS! Movie-FLAT mit über 300 Videos.
Jetzt freischalten unter http://portal.gmx.net/de/go/maxdome