[sword-devel] Psalms, Books and XML

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Mon Nov 8 15:54:53 MST 2010

On Apr 2, 2010, at 7:57 AM, David Haslam wrote:

> This may be seen as a naïve question from someone who has not done enough
> homework....
>
> All other books in the Bible are usually called Books in Bible software,
> but Psalms (in some printed editions at least) actually comprises five books
> per se.
>
>  Book I = Psalms 1 to 41
>  Book II = Psalms 42 to 72
>  Book III = Psalms 73 to 89
>  Book IV = Psalms 90 to 106
>  Book V = Psalms 107 to 150
>
> A footnote in my copy of the 1962 French Synodale translation explains,
> "Le Receuil des Psaumes se divise en cinq livres".
>
> Is this aspect of the Bible structure addressed within the OSIS XML
> standard?
Yes. The <div>.

> Does OSIS2MOD cater for an extra level of <div> ... </div> here ?
Sure. All of what passes through osis2mod, except the verse element is preserved in the module. Though because it has not be tested, there is an off chance that it will bind to what precedes rather than follows.

The KJV should be reworked to include these.

> And how about facilitating the attribute name = "..." for these ?

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.

> In the same French Bible, the five books are entitled (naturellement)
>
>  PREMIÈRE LIVRE
>  DEUXIÈME LIVRE
>  TROISIÈME LIVRE
>  QUATRIÈME LIVRE
>  CINQUIÈME LIVRE

These would be held in a title element immediately inside the opening <div>.

In Him,
	DM