[sword-devel] Remote Module Repository Wiki

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Nov 7 07:28:31 MST 2010

A lot here depends on evaluation of pros and cons.  I personally support
HTTP, zipped modules, and one central file (like mods.d.tar.gz) to give a
list of all the books and where to find them for at least some of the
following reasons.  I will try and capture why succinctly:
For ZIPs:
1. Minimising the number of GETs issued (and potentially file size and
download speed): I think this is particularly important for loading the
initial list of modules, which should preferably be as fast as it possibly
can be.  It also makes a difference for image modules like Dore's Woodcuts
with lots of loose files (which I remember taking a very long time to
install with Install Manager).
2. Provides one unambiguous URL for a module.
3. Uses the same format for distribution stand-alone and in InstallManager.
4. Removes most/all of the directory traversal problems involved with the
installed book structure: This has potential advantages of speed and working
with a greater number of servers as well as programmability.

For HTTP:
1. HTTP is a more common setup than FTP.  Thus it is probably more
accessible to a wider group of publishers (and quite possibly users as
well).  For example, it would certainly be possible to host ZIP files on
website / file sharing services such as Google Sites or DropBox, and even a
mods.d.tar.gz (though keeping it up to date could be a bit troublesome).
FTP support is a whole different kettle of fish.

I understand you want to make things easier for publishers (and that is not
a bad goal), but for me the "holy grail" is not using the same format, but
providing the best user experience.  Speed is an important part of that, and
to me that almost guarantees two separate format, since the best format for
transferring over a network is almost guaranteed to be different from the
best one for reading on disk.  Philosophically, I think it is usually better
to put more work on publishers rather than on consumers, because there will
usually be a lot more consumers than publishers.  [I do think supporting
filesystem installs from the directory structure as you discuss in your
"viral" section makes sense - I just don't think it makes sense over a
network.  Also having multiple paths to get modules from makes sense].

I suspect having standard Unix scripts to set up the file structure (for big
publishers running their own Apache installation) and other helpers might
make it not too much harder than maintaining the raw directory structure.

One other thing: Troy, do your plans for sword-modules.org (or whatever it
was) have any bearing on this?  For example, if it were relatively easy for
a repository to be set up there by Joe Random or Small Publisher X and
sword-modules.org provided FTP, it might lessen the advantage of HTTP over
FTP.

Jon