[sword-devel] Marking transChange within a <w> ?

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Fri Nov 5 11:28:07 MST 2010

On 11/5/10 11:07 AM, Peter von Kaehne wrote:

>> Von: David Haslam<d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk>
>
>> I just want everyone to know that I have added an issue in SWORD bugs.
>>
>> http://www.crosswire.org/bugs/browse/API-133 Alternative method to mark
>> translation changes does not lead to italics in SWORD output
>>
>> The previous replies to my initial message have been posted as comments
>> there.
>
> My feel is that this is neither a bug in OSIS nor in Sword, but in the module.
>
> While transChange can not exist inside of w (why should it? w is supposed to mark up a single word only) w can well reside inside of transChange. So there should not be any need for user defined additional markup.
>
> But i have not looked yet at the KJV text to confirm that this is what is wrong.

I think the problem is that our KJV marks <w> based on the Greek
underlying our text, so <w> may not be limited to orthographic English
words.

That said, I also believe that an encoder ought to be allowed to put
<transChange> on elements smaller than an orthographic word. If I'm
translating an instance of "λόγος", but for some reason I believe that I
should translate it as "words", I ought to be able to encode
<w>word<transChange>s</transChange></w>.

I'll add a note to the OSIS change requests page (currently empty, but
see http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS).

--Chris