[sword-devel] What is a Sword module?

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Nov 4 19:41:47 MST 2010

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 8:22 PM, DM Smith <dmsmith at crosswire.org> wrote:

> On Nov 4, 2010, at 8:47 PM, Robert Hunt wrote:
>
>> Looking at http://crosswire.org/wiki/Main_Page (and elsewhere), I don't see any documentation for the Sword module format. Is it documented anywhere other than in the code or by dissecting a module?
>
> Robert,
> The only documentation that will be provided is the code itself. It is not commented very well. This is deliberate. It is not commented very well. That is not deliberate;) All the code is readily available.
>
> We try to provide a complete solution so that modules can easily be read and written using the SWORD library or the JSword library. The JSword library lags the SWORD library in some capabilities. We have bindings for other languages such as php.

*such as Python.

Perl bindings build (last time I checked) and have been tested to a
limited extent (I believe Peter has used them in some minor scripting
he's done).  PHP does not build and would require some effort to be
put into the SWIG bindings to provide especially a missing binding for
the STL multimap class.  I intended to tackle that after my working on
CMake and mod2osis was complete, but I have taken on (possibly
open-ended) module creation responsibilities for Wycliffe that come
before the mod2osis and SWIG bindings work I have planned.

--Greg