[sword-devel] ztext file format...

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Wed May 19 01:42:03 MST 2010

On Wed, May 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM, Troy A. Griffitts <scribe at crosswire.org> wrote:

> Dear Wade,
>
> I understand your frustration and desire to get something working.
>
> I can't stress enough that making bindings to the existing engine is the
> way forward for .net developers.  We have multiple storage formats
> besides our ztext driver.   And the ztext driver itself can store data
> in differing sized blocks and even with different compression
> algorithms.  We have a number of markup formats supported in the engine
> as well.

C++ is particularly difficult for bindings for C# (and for other
languages as well, really) as opposed to plain C. One possible
solution would be to use the flat C API (not sure how well developed
this is...), and just use P/Invoke in C# to call the functions. I
suspect this would be easier and more maintainable than trying to
maintain the SWIG bindings. If the C API is not well developed, it
probably wouldn't be hard to add to it; Xiphos has essentially been
wrapping the C++ API with a C API for a long time.

Matthew