[sword-devel] [Tyndale STEP] User interface

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Wed May 5 07:05:03 MST 2010

David,

Your confusion about 'SWORD' is because it can be used for two different
"things".

The SWORD API is the back-end "engine" used by several of the SWORD based
front-end applications.

"The SWORD Project for Windows" is one such front-end application.
Internally, CrossWire developers use the project name BibleCS.

In addition to which there is a JSword API, which is written in Java rather
than C++. Several other front-end applications are based on JSword rather
than SWORD.

The best way to understand these is by reading the
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/ CrossWire developers' wiki . All the
front-end applications are listed on the main page, and some of the notable
ones are compared in the page
http://www.crosswire.org/wiki/Choosing_a_SWORD_program Choosing a SWORD
program .

e-Sword has no connection with CrossWire, and therefore shares none of our
technology.

btw. You should become aware that the developer of MyOfflineBible attends a
Christadelphian church.
This too has no connection with CrossWire.

Your list of Bible Study applications still omits a number of the notable
front-end applications based on SWORD or JSword.  I would urge you to remedy
these omissions before going to press (as it were).

Finally, we programmers tend to reserve the word 'version' for software
revisions, rather than different applications. So we speak of version
control, and the CrossWire hosted code uses the well known program called
subversion (SVN) to control versions on the server.

For the SWORD API, version 1.5.99 was the last version that was for KJV
versification only. From version 1.6.0 onwards, CrossWire began to introduce
support for alternate versification. This is an important step forward,
because so many other Bible study applications were designed for KJV
versification. This development is opening up new opportunities for
CrossWire to have collaboration with other Bible Societies.

David