[sword-devel] How to log out Strongs modules for development

David Instone-Brewer Technical at Tyndale.cam.ac.uk
Tue Dec 14 05:01:36 MST 2010

Dear Daniel

I was hoping to look at the possibility of adding a "Root" field to
the Strongs modules, so that people could do a search for similar words.
As a starting point I was going to find a programming way of
identifying clusters from Strong's own internal links to similar words,
and then look through for obvious errors (that's the tricky bit!).
It would be nice to make a distinction between "root" and "lemma",
but this would take more sophistication.

Initially I just need a copy of the project at present (in XML or
similar) to see if the plan is feasible.
If I get some sensible results, it looks like the best thing to do is
to send them to you for incorporation into the official module.
Is that right?

BTW the Strongs Greek v.1.4 still lists 5054 (teknwn) as derived from 5098.
This should be derived from "5088". This is in error in all online
versions of Strongs
This error led someone to publish a book last year saying that Jesus
was actually the son of a judge, and was a respected member of the
establishment, because 5098 is  timoria from 5097; vindication, i.e.
(by implication) a penalty:--punishment.
Its frightening what can happen as a result of bad OCR.

David IB