[sword-devel] Linked in audio files

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Thu Aug 26 13:07:18 MST 2010

David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> writes:
> Well that's going to be the case anyway.  Each SWORD (or JSword)
> front-end application would need to implement a media player

No, not at all.

If the resulting HTML returned by the filters is any sort of typical
"passagestudy.jsp?action=playMultiMedia" link, then Xiphos will
implement the entire concept in all of about 20 lines of code.  No joke
and no exaggeration.  We will simply clone the already-existing
show_separate_image() routine and make it hunt down the multimedia
player instead of the image viewer.  Delta-T, from arrival of
audio/video-indicating filter output to implementation in Xiphos:
15 minutes.

This is why the idea of functional decomposition exists.  Xiphos isn't a
speech synthesizer, either, but Xiphos knows how to ask a speech
synthesizer to do the work of reading a passage.

All I want is for the HTML from the filters to include a stock image
reference for the user to click inside the link, plus a suitable
reference in the link to the audio file to be played.