[sword-devel] Linked in audio files

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 13:35:35 MST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 4:28 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> On 24/08/10 21:01, Matthew Talbert wrote:
>
> > I think you ought to look closely at how images are handled.
>
> I thought of that. But images have a separate tag (figure, I think)
> which is not really suitable for sound. And a generic <a> does not
> exist, does it? Finally it is not just about simply linking to files but
> to provide start and end info. Not just would the workload of producing
> 10.000s of verse shaped files be enormous (even more than simply noting
> the start times), but I guess initialising the media player for each
> verse would result in delays and staccato.
>
> Much better if the passage would be read fluently, without obvious
> pauses. No?
>
> Peter

I didn't realize you were hoping to start at specific times. It's just
my opinion, but I do think you would be better off splitting it into
per-verse files. It shouldn't be that hard via a script. I don't think
the time between one verse and another would even be noticeable. After
all, media players do this all the time. The primary benefit, though,
would be making it much easier for front-end developers. There's no
guarantee of media players on every platform that can accept starting
and ending points, while media players that play certain files are
much easier to come by. I think at least, it would be good to consider
this option.

Matthew