[sword-devel] Crossreferences

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Tue Aug 17 08:19:42 MST 2010

  On 08/17/2010 10:30 AM, Mike Hart wrote:
> I'd really like this list of references as a commentary that can be
> watched next to the text, However, adding material into texts that are
> not present in the dead tree version is scary and deceptive to me.  It
> will reduce the value of the texts maintained on Crosswire. If I'm
> following cross references in a Wyclif bible (circa 1380 in England),
> and find out that they aren't the original, but something from circa
> 1800 in Latvia, and added into Wyclif's work in 2010... I'd at least
> like to be able to know the reference is a revision and not original
> before I make public claims on the references. I'm just guessing, but
> I would think their is a fair number of crosswire users  who are
> students and pastors who will publicize their work in some way
> and rely on the texts representing what they claim to represent.

I don't think you'll ever see a text at CrossWire modified to include
anything that is not in the upstream e-text. We try to find the most
faithful e-text for each of the modules. On occasion, we've pulled
modules because their upstream e-text has not been faithful to the
dead-tree version (e.g. BDB, if I remember correctly).

I think the basic idea is that the application should have a mode that
will provide the cross references from one module as companion to
another. I imagine that it will be something that the user will enable
deliberately. Hopefully, it will also be visually distinctive, such as
verse end markers using a different format or a parallel column.