[sword-devel] frontend features, their applicability -- consistency?

Manfred Bergmann manfred.bergmann at me.com
Sun Apr 18 03:04:41 MST 2010

Ahoi.

I don't actually care so much about bookmark consistency. And if so then mainly between PS and MS because Mac users maybe will have an iPhone and want to sync their bookmarks. But I haven't heard of such feature requests.
Generally though for the sake of features it would be great to be able to upload bookmarks to a central or local server for synchronisation. Much like Mac users can do with MobileMe.
As for other features in MacSword it is that from time to time there are feature requests in the forum or mailing lists or else where, for example MacUpdate.
And lately one or two users were really helpful in giving valuable input about user interface changes/optimisations.
But other than that and since I'm the only one developing it is mostly driven by what I find good and would like to have in.
This includes heavy improvements for image modules with many features that you have described.
Also something which I really would like to have and was is great value to me in studies (using Accordance) is a gantt diagram view component for creating and visualising life spans of the people in the bible, special events or other things.
I don't know whether this is something that other front-ends have considered doing.

> I'm asking because, when I think about some of the capability that we've
> brought to Xiphos in the last couple years, I realize that a lot of it has
> no analogue or counterpart in any other Sword application.
>
> Along comes Jane Random, who desperately wants Critical Feature XYZ in her
> Bible study application.  She hears about The Sword Project, finds an
> application, tries it out, and sees that XYZ isn't there.  And so she
> concludes erroneously that The Sword Project isn't worth her time, and
> worst of all, she tells her friends about her search for XYZ and how The
> Sword Project didn't measure up.

It seems people don't have the time anymore to dig a bit deeper (in our forums and wikis) to find out that applications under the CrossWire umbrella are very individual.
Maybe we should advertise the front-end comparison wiki page a bit better i.e. right into the application list page. But even then I think many people wouldn't recognise it because they don't read. At least not from the beginning of the page.
We could have applications tagged as "CrossWire certified" :) which would include a must have of certain features. But for this CrossWire doesn't have the structure and I'm not sure this is something that's actually wanted.
Basically the only thing that all application have in common is that they use the SWORD engine. And if the organisation doesn't greatly change or more developer resources are available I don't think this will change.

Manfred