[sword-devel] Open Collaborative Bible Translation

David Haslam d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk
Sat Apr 10 07:28:21 MST 2010

It may be the two Japanese translations that Nakamaru Kunio described are
"old fashioned" in a different manner than the KJV is viewed as "old
fashioned" by modern English readers. I just don't know.

My aim was merely to point out that "old fashioned" is term that can cover
multiple aspects of language usage change, not just one. Sometimes people
who have not even bothered to read an older translation can come to a
premature verdict without knowing all the relevant background. I frequently
encounter people who refuse to read the KJV, just because it's "uncool". I'm
not voicing this because of an emotional attachment to the KJV. When quizzed
further, the usual reply is that "it's full of thee's and thou's", etc.

Trevor, I agree about the importance of using contemporary language in
witness. That's why I was so ready to get the Welsh beibl.net translation of
Arfon Jones on to mobile phones.

-- David