[sword-devel] Bible Resource Identifiers

Brian Fernandes infernalproteus at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 20:42:00 MST 2010

FireBible started off with bible:// but later versions supported
sword:// too. Both are identical, but by default I generate bible://
URIs when you use the bible toolbar (so specifically when looking up a
bible - for legacy purposes) and sword:// URIs in all other cases.
However, if you replace bible with sword or vice-versa, everything still
works.

FireBible does in inherit all the JSword key parsing goodness, but I
don't support any other *protocols* since each must be implemented in
FireFox. So sword://greeekhebrew/0032 works, as does
bible://acv/Lev.3-4,Gen.1.5-ff with the latter part being wholly parsed
by JSword. The module reference ("acv") in this case can be omitted in
which case the currently selected bible in the toolbar will be used, if
none present than the "default" bible as specified in the preferences.

Also, if a comma is used in the module part, it indicates an additional
module for which you want the same content in a side-by-side view
(locally implemented, not yet released).
e.g. bible://acv,esv,kjv/gen.1

 >I'd suggest that in sword://module/key that module be allowed to be an
abstract reference, such as >sword://Bible.en.KJV.*/key
(type.lang.v11n.any) or as sword://Dict.strong.*/key.
This sounds like a good idea.

I will be putting these details on the wiki shortly.

Brian.