[sword-devel] Bible Resource Identifiers

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sat Apr 3 07:43:32 MST 2010

On 04/03/2010 02:35 AM, David Haslam wrote:
> FireBible recognizes both "sword:" and "bible:" as identifiers.
>
> David

FireBible, since it is based on JSword, probably also recognizes some
others based upon type, e.g. dict: as in dict://word.

These are not standard, but are based upon a need to allow for general
purpose lookup based upon type. This is what bible: is.

We've discussed the need for type based lookups but I don't recall
coming to a conclusion.

There is also a need to be able to specify a particular versification
for bible:// where the user does not care about the particular bible
that is used.

It might also be good to be able to specify a particular language or
perhaps any other attribute of a module specified in the conf. Kind of
an sql specifier.

I'd suggest that in sword://module/key that module be allowed to be an
abstract reference, such as sword://Bible.en.KJV.*/key
(type.lang.v11n.any) or as sword://Dict.strong.*/key.

I think the semantic should be look for a preferred match, if any, and
use the "best" match otherwise.

In Him,
     DM