[sword-devel] maps

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 20:05:44 MST 2009

Hi,

On Thu, Sep 10, 2009 at 2:43 PM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> I do not want to stop anyone working on maps, but:
>
> The maps produced with this tool will be hard to translate into other
> languages. We have an abundance of English language material (including
> maps).
>
> What we need is material which can be taken by an interpreter and
> re-issued in other languages.
>
> The solution for this are SVG maps where the text can get extracted and
> replaced.

Yes, SVG map is better because it can manipulated using standard DOM call.

However, the drawback for svg is viewer is viewer support. For Java
app eg: BibleDesktop/Alkitab there is a good SVG library from Apache.
I am not sure for the C/C++ part, maybe using activeX control from
Adobe SVG Viewer (now unsupported)

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--