[sword-devel] BibleTime, Qt and S60 (coming soon)?

Eeli Kaikkonen eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi
Wed Sep 9 01:55:27 MST 2009

On Tue, 8 Sep 2009, David Haslam wrote:

> The Qt site headlines has S60 (coming soon). See  http://qt.nokia.com/
> http://qt.nokia.com/
>
> Would this mean that once it has appeared, it should be feasible to port
> BibleTime to Symbian S60 based mobile phones?
>
> If so, this might bring closure to the fact that we had nothing to offer nor
> recommend for the S60 platform.
>
> -- David

I was working for Nokia (not anymore) and followed the situation with
Qt. Back then, this looked like an interesting possibility, and still
does.  However, the BibleTime's user interface hasn't been designed for
handheld devices. Straightforward porting would probably make a poor
user experience. I would rather recommend designing a new simple UI
which then would automatically work on all platforms, adding not only an
S60 application to our offerings but also a small, simple cross-platform
application.

This is only my opinion which is based on very superficial knowledge on
S60 port of Qt. I would be happy if someone really ported BT for S60 and
if it worked.

  Yours,
	Eeli Kaikkonen (Mr.), Oulu, Finland