[sword-devel] swlocale question

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 15:39:19 MST 2009

On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 4:59 PM, Jonathan Marsden<jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> Matthew Talbert wrote:
>
>> That is, if we have 5 applications, and each has a 1-line way of doing
>> this, then that's less code than trying to do this ourselves.
>
> So... how does diatheke do it in one line? :)

Diatheke is "no longer supported."  Thus, how it might (or might not)
do it, is irrelevant.

> How all that fits together, and how SWORD-using apps should fit it all
> together, is potentially fairly complex and so IMO worth documenting. For
> example, if a SWORD app has 4 modules open, each a bible in a different
> language, which set or sets of book abbreviations should each module window
> use (a) in its drop down lists and (b) in handling user-entered verse
> references?

I think that should be left up to every app to choose (or user, if the
app wants to be that configurable).  You might want those all to work
different, I want every window I open to use my English-language UI
and English locale verse parsing.  Even when I'm reading my GNT, I'd
rather use English to enter them in - and that's because my keyboard
is set to English for input.  But I might feel differently from
Matthew, Karl or Troy.  So that's something, I believe, each app
should very much deal with on its own.  Thus, having the application
tell the library which locale to use - not the other way around - is
definitely the proper way to handle it.

--Greg