[sword-devel] More installmgr woes... (need for export SWORD_PATH=~/.sword )

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 18:17:07 MST 2009

>> 3. Allow installing a zipped module. That is, the library would unzip
>> it itself and install it somewhere. This would be useful for all of
>> the frontends I think, and it's best to handle it in SWORD, because it
>> already has the necessary functionality to do this (very similar to
>> the untar capability). I've offered before to help with this, or code
>> something up, but got no response, so I assumed that it wasn't wanted
>> in the library.
>
> This is not on my priority list either.  If you have a zip file, just
> unzip it to where you want it installed.  I don't think we're giving the
> user any extra value and I certainly don't think the task is as
> straightforward as you might think.  zlib, to my knowledge does not have
> the functionality to read a directory manifest in a zip file.

The functionality is included in the SWORD library in the same
location as the untar function. That is, it's a contribution to zlib,
therefore not in zlib proper, but as easy to add to sword as the
untar. Many users have no idea how to unzip the module where it needs
to be.

So basically my assumption was correct that even if I did the work for
this, it wouldn't get included? I'm not asking where it is on your
priority list. On mine, these things are quite high because they
directly impact the user experience. Therefore I'm willing to work on
them, but only if I know that they will get included. Otherwise, I'll
just find a way to get around it or implement it in Xiphos (as other
apps already have done).

Matthew