[sword-devel] Making Bible DVDs from OSIS source text

Greg Hellings greg.hellings at gmail.com
Thu Sep 3 13:01:04 MST 2009

On Thu, Sep 3, 2009 at 2:48 PM, Jonathan Marsden<jmarsden at fastmail.fm> wrote:
> David Haslam wrote:
>
>>> Our friend John Austin has developed software to make a Bible DVD from
>>> OSIS source text.
>
>> I have been sent an early demo sample (containing only the text of 2
>> John, n a Cyrillic scripted language) which can be viewed using Windows
>> Media Player (also worked on Power DVD and Windows Media Center). Not
>> authorised to distribute the demo yet.
>
> It might be good to do the usual open source "release early, release often"
> thing with the code for the software tool itself.  If John lacks an
> appropriate server for svn (or git ot bzr or whatever DVCS he uses!)
> hosting, bugtracking, etc., perhaps he could be given space on the
> crosswire.org server for this codebase?  I take it the software is licenced
> under the GPL or another OSI-approved licence?
>
> For example, we could then see what happens if we feed it DM's OSIS KJV as a
> source text :)
>
> BTW, I'm not sure I really understand the need for a tool like this to use
> Firefox as its only UI; it is apparently Linux-specific anyway, and making
> it scriptable would permit bulk conversion of a pile of OSIS documents,
> possibly including a pile created by running mod2osis over a set of SWORD
> modules :) :)

...if mod2osis changes ever manage to filter back into the library. :)
 Making the patches is a halting process for those of us who work on
it, and I don't think the patches have ever been accepted back to the
library, due to the halting nature of creating them and the poor
testing performed on them (and the purported publisher hatred of the
tool's functionality).

--Greg