[sword-devel] Questions about usfm2osis.pl

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Wed Oct 28 14:12:06 MST 2009

johnduffy at cgcf.net wrote:
> Does usfm2osis.pl process USFM \q quotation marks?  Bibledit converts them
> to paragraph marks, but I would be keen to keep them as quotation markup in
> the osis file, if possible.

\q marks a poetic line, not quotations. usfm2osis.pl correctly encodes
these as OSIS poetry in all cases that I know of.

USFM offers \qt to mark OT quotations found in the NT, if that's what
your thinking of. If you just mean quoted speech, there are two standard
conventions: Modern USFM editions, especially those that are encoded in
UTF-8, simply encode the marks themselves in UTF-8. Older SFM sometimes
encodes quotation marks as <<, >>, <, and > for double left & right and
single left and right quotation marks respectively. usfm2osis.pl decodes
these and marks them with OSIS <q>.

--Chris