[sword-devel] experimental repository & new module release procedures

Barry Drake bdrake at crosswire.org
Tue Oct 6 01:49:03 MST 2009

Hi Chris .......

Chris Little wrote:
> I created a new repository over the weekend for experimental modules.
> This repo is intended for front end developers. PLEASE DO NOT DIRECT
> USERS TO THIS REPOSITORY. It is not for casual users or even very many
> people on this list.

I'm really excited about this!  I've (obviously) downloaded the modules
and look forward to playing about with them as soon as one or more of
the front ends is far enough along to let me look at them properly.

With regard to the repo ...  As some of the modules are copyrighted and
not able to be released, I honestly think the copyrighted ones should be
taken off the master repo list (although obviously kept available for
test purposes).  It is just that they are too easy to see, and it could
score lots of minus points from the copyright holders if they are seen
by them.  As Matthew pointed out, the current release of Xiphos just
'finds' them on update. Just at the moment, we seem to be making a lot
of headway with copyright holders, and confidence is rising that Sword
is as secure as any other software (and more secure than some!).  I
wouldn't want the project to lose ground.  It's too important for that.

Well, that's my two 'pennorth .... (or two cents if you prefer).

God bless,
Barry

-- From Barry Drake (The Revd) Health and Healing advisor to the East
Midlands Synod of the United Reformed Church.  See
http://www.urc5.org.uk/index for information about the synod, and
http://www.urc5.org.uk/?q=node/703 for the Synod Healing pages.

Replies - b.drake at ntlworld.com