[sword-devel] compiling on Windows

Matthew Talbert ransom1982 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 19:55:50 MST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:42 PM, Gerald Zimmerman <cyberkotic at yahoo.com> wrote:
> I have an additional request. Windows, as delivered, makes everything easy for "frontenders" but ignores any thirst  for the knowledge of compiling. I suspect that any of us Windows users could use the most recent Sword upgrades if we knew how to compile. Could someone provide instructions and/or links to tutorials for the very elementary basics of compiling, especially on Windows? Thanks!

Are you wanting:

1. Instructions for compiling the SWORD library and utilities with
Visual Studio (Microsoft compiler, free to download)?
2. Instructions for compiling the SWORD library and utilities with
open source compilers (see
http://crosswire.org/~jmarsden/setup-mingw.html)
3. Instructions for compiling the SWORD frontend BibleCS (aka, The
SWORD Project for Windows)?

1 is easily handled, 2 is probably best served by the link provided.
I've never seen real instructions for 3, nor do I think it is any
longer possible to do this with free tools (free as in free download,
it was never possible to do it with open source tools, afaik).

Please note that there seems to be a great deal of confusion between
'SWORD' the library, and 'The SWORD Project for Windows', the
frontend. 'SWORD', the library, is already available in the latest
version (1.6.0) both in the utilities Chris pointed to earlier, and as
a dll + utilities packaged with Xiphos for Windows
(http://xiphos.org). What many people seem to be after is 'The SWORD
Project for Windows' rather than the library. In some of the last
discussions, SWORD was being used for both the library and the
frontend.

Matthew