[sword-devel] Windows users as "poor cousins"?

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:23:43 MST 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 15:07, Jonathan Marsden wrote:

> I suggest that this is a clear sign that today's Linux distros do not expect their users to be experienced in downloading and compiling tarballs at a command line in order to install software :)

I'd go further and suggest that Linux users are actively discouraged
from compiling tarballs, unless they are also programmers.

As Linux migration into the corporate desktop spreads, this "do not
compile tarballs"  directive gets incorporated into company policy,
which users incorporate into how they use their home computers.

> The direct equivalent in Linux is a binary .deb or a .rpm for ones own distribution (most commonly found in the repos for ones own distribution rather than elsewhere, to avoid dependency issues or trojans).  This is how software is expected in Linux, in 2009.

I think it goes further than avoiding trojans or dependency issues.
Rather, in today's climate, "computer literacy" is correlated with
"knowing how to use  a specific set of programs used at work".  It is
unrelated to programming knowledge.

jonathon