[sword-devel] osis2mod - problem with Greek Esther

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Sun Nov 29 17:21:38 MST 2009

johnduffy at cgcf.net wrote:
> Chris,
>
> Thanks for that clarification.  The Irish Bible has one book, Esther, which
> as both the Greek and Hebrew combined.  I don't think that this is what you
> mean by only a Greek Esther, so I presume that the Vulgate is not suitable.
> Let me know if this is incorrect.

You could try the Vulg v11n to see if it works well. Many other books
have slightly or significantly different verses per chapter in Vulg, so
it's quite possible that it would be a poor fit.

> If I put the Greek portions of the Irish Bible into the Additions to Esther
> (ADE & AddEsth), which I have prepared as chapters 10-16 as noted below does
> this seem suitable? (However, they are listed in USFM under ESG in Bibledit
> as Esther (Greek).)

That sounds good, if it is acceptable to have the additions located in a
different book.

> To be honest, I've seen different v11ns of the KJVA with Greek Esther
> included in between the Hebrew in the book of Esther, as well as separated
> out into a separate book Greek Esther, so I'm unsure which is the official
> KJVA v11n, if there is one.

In making the text KJVA v11n definition, I consulted a number of KJVs
with apocrypha, including a cheap $10 printing of the KJV Apocrypha
(alone), the Cambridge Paragraph Bible, and a complete transcription of
the 1611 printing. All agreed in the separation of the additions to
Esther (or the "Rest of Esther") as a distinct book, so I suspect that
is the official v11n.

--Chris