[sword-devel] PocketSword description & search words (iPhone)

Nic Carter niccarter at mac.com
Fri Nov 20 21:28:28 MST 2009

Hi there team.

I'm hoping to submit PocketSword to Apple to get it on the App Store next Monday.  Lots of hoops to jump through, but I'm getting there.  The app seems stable enough, so that's good.  My beta testers have this weekend to finish sending in bugs.  :)

Anyway, the App Store requires me to write a description of the app & also to set Keywords for use when people search on the app store, and after writing both, I thought I'd post them here in order to get comments & suggestions:

Keywords (note: we are limited to 100 characters worth of keywords!):
bible, reader, esv, kjv, commentary, offline, crosswire, multilingual, greek, hebrew, free
Description (note: we are limited to 4000 characters worth of description):
PocketSword is a new Bible reader for the iPhone & iPod Touch (OS 3.0 and above) that is built upon the powerful SWORD backend developed by CrossWire (see http://CrossWire.org/sword/).

It should be stressed that PocketSword is free and will always remain so.  The modules available for download & offline use within the app are free, with permission granted by the various Copyright holders to CrossWire to distribute them for use in its apps.  When you download this app, it comes with the KJV & Matthew Henry's Concise Commentary on the Whole Bible pre-installed, but you can use the downloader within PocketSword to choose which additional modules you wish to download from CrossWire and have available for offline use.

MODULES

There are free modules (both Bible translations and commentaries) available in over 60 languages, including (but not limited to):
English, Greek (modern and ancient), Hebrew, German, Dutch, French, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese (simplified & traditional), Arabic, Afrikaans, Latin, Russian, Tagalog, Thai, Vietnamese and many more.

Popular Bible translations available in the English language include:
ESV, KJV, AKJV, ASV, NET, Tyndale, WEB and Young's Literal Translation.
Popular Commentaries available in the English language include:
Matthew Henry's Complete (and Concise) Commentary on the Whole Bible, Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, John Wesley's Notes on the Bible, Abbot, Barnes, Geneva, Luther and more...
(See http://crosswire.org/sword/modules/ for a fuller list of the modules).

You can also choose to create your own modules, using the tools available from Crosswire, and install your modules directly from your computer to your iPhone.

FEATURES

The SWORD backend to PocketSword is very powerful and allows for a rich experience for the end user.  Currently implemented are:
- Module downloader of modules in many languages, freely available from CrossWire
- Separate Bible & Commentary tabs for quick reference from one to the other: jump to a verse in one and it jumps to the same verse in the other
- Choose your font & font size for ease of reading
- Bookmark support
- Red Letter in ESV & KJV and choice of reading Verse-Per-Line or using paragraphs.
- Night mode for easier reading in the dark

The next version of PocketSword is already in the works with support for:
Searching, Strong's numbers, footnotes, more powerful bookmarks, UI localisation in  Dutch, French, German, Italian, Spanish & Japanese, and many more...

Please let me know of any comments and suggestions you could make?  Within the app there is a full description of who CrossWire is, taken directly from http://crosswire.org/index.jsp?section=About  :)

Thanks, ybic
	nic...  :)