[sword-devel] Problem understanding wiki

johnduffy at cgcf.net johnduffy at cgcf.net
Wed Nov 4 06:50:14 MST 2009

DM

Thanks for that info.  It was a great help.  I've got a module produced and
can see it in BibleCS and Xiphos (not tested others yet).

As a result, I noticed that I had further editing to do on usfm2osis.pl as I
hadn't noticed that some of the poetry output was not good osis (I've spent
lots of hours on this as I didn't know perl, and have now got the paragraph,
verse eID and poetry all in the right order in the osis output).  There are
no problems in the USFM, and it displays really nicely in Bibledit.  But
despite now having what seems to be good osis, it still doesn't always
produce good display in a Sword module, with poetry sections initially not
starting on new lines, paragraphs spaced out too much, first chapters of all
NT books in bold, all NT verses having the last character of the previous
verse (or preverse) inserted at the start of the next verse while all the OT
is OK, and so on.  And I can find nothing on the wiki to help at this point.
I know that it would be somewhat easier with vpl format only, but I want to
keep the paragraph and poetry from the original.  To be honest, I'm weary of
so much effort and time taken up trying to overcome one hurdle after
another.  Module creation isn't for the average user.

But trying to overcome the issues I have at present, are there any
'uncompressed' sample modules available for comparison which contain poetry
and paragraphs?  Also, what normally happens at this stage?  Is it normal
for modules to need a lot of editing to get them to display correctly?  Or
should running osis2mod produce finished modules ready for use and
submission?  Also, is there any info on the wiki about the format of Sword
modules, and how to edit them?  And after submission, what happens modules
before final publication on the site - do they go into beta testing as
appears to be the case from a beta module list I've come across on the wiki?
Are any of the issues above known with solutions?

Help much appreciated.

John Duffy