[sword-devel] Python client

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Nov 4 00:55:41 MST 2009

Mattias Põldaru wrote:
> Greetings
>
> I was wondering if anyone has implemented a pure python program for
> reading sword modules.

If your question aims at a Python programme using the existing sword
library written in C++ - there are several:

There is BpBible, a client mostly for Windows, but compilable on Linux
and potentially on Mac OSX.

There is Rapier, a Maemo client.

I think there had been a couple of others which have vanished from the
scene.

If your question aims at an attempt of a python implementation of
libsword, Ben has directed you at the right place. The problem with that
  is that the module format is subject to arbitrary and unannounced
changes as we expand and build on the library. Anyone who wants to use
an alternative implementation will have a considerable risk that things
suddenly cease to work.

The generic answer to emails like yours is therefore - use the existing
library with the language of your choice.

Peter