[sword-devel] SWORD 1.6.0 with no compiler warnings

Jonathan Marsden jmarsden at fastmail.fm
Mon May 25 00:59:48 MST 2009

Faced with either using a patch I thought was "ugly" or getting rid of
all the compiler warnings in SWORD 1.6.0, so we can create debug
packages, I made an attempt at the latter option... and it seems to have
worked!

More testing is very definitely needed, but the (sizeable) patch to do
this is at

  http://computeroptions.net/sword/really-no-more-warnings.diff

After applying this (to 1.6.0 or to svn head), doing

  ./autogen.sh && ./usrinst.sh --enable-warnings --enable-tests && make

works (for me, anyway).

Basically, in addition to the things done by my earlier patch for
untgz.c and so forth, this patch "just":

 (a) adds some #include <stdio.h> lines that were missing
 (b) tests return values from all read, write and fgets calls

This was a joint effort: Dmitry did (a) and then I did (b) :)

Since much of the patch affects the utilities, I'd really like to have
more ways to easily test each of them.

I'd like to see something like this accepted into SWORD 1.6.1 ...
please?  We also need to fix the SWORD build system so --enable-debug
really turns on --enable-warnings too, if that is what it is supposed to
do.  But that's a separate issue from the actual compiler warnings, in a
way.

Jonathan