[sword-devel] 1.6.0 auto-discovery feature

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Wed May 20 15:16:04 MST 2009

Dear Eeli,

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> On Mon, 18 May 2009, Troy A. Griffitts wrote:
>
>> May I make an appeal to frontend leads to please consider exposing the
>> new auto-discovery of remote repositories to their apps sooner than
>> other features?
>>

> It's indeed possible.

Thank you!

> When I once tested the installmgr it just added the sources when there
> where none defined before. How does it actually work - does it override
> the old ones? It's of course a major bug if it does, because the user
> may have private sources there which should not be overridden.

There is logic in the new 'sync' feature which attempts to only update
the entries it was responsible for adding.  I believe it works as you hope.

> What happens if a source is already defined? Most people have some
> sources already there, and I think it's a bit stupid to add the same
> source twice.

If the source has exactly the same name, it will be usurped by the
installmgr source.  There will not be 2.

> What happens if you add new ones manually, using the old system?

Should coexist.

> Is it possible to add automatic sources selectively? Some people may not
> like adding repositories which they don't use, especially if the
> repository has only one commercial module. It would be good to be able
> to select which sources to add to the frontend. For example, the user
> clicks "Update the list of sources". Now the fronted could show a
> dialog: "New sources available" with checkboxes. The user could choose
> which sources to add. Is this supported in the engine?

No.  I would suggest a hide/show option in the frontend.  Hope this is
the same amount of UI work as presenting to the user a list of repos
that might be added and letting them choose, each time the 'sync' button
is pressed.

Hope this is mostly good news.

	-Troy.