[sword-devel] InstallMgr details.

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Thu May 14 22:58:59 MST 2009

"Until you understand the details, design always sounds simple."
   --I'm sure, some famous architect near retirement.

There is a basic and practical difference between a local and a remote
installation, however abstract you want to get.

Remote repositories have concepts like 'refresh from remote source'
(apt-get update)

Local repositories usually aren't 'entered' in a list by a user, though
I suppose they could be if it was useful.  Practically there is usually
1 local source (a CD or USB drive) and the user can Browse... to the
location.  This is not easily replicated for remote sources.  They are
typically 'configured' and their configuration stored for future reference.

So, while the difference between local and remote is there, a remote FTP
source and a remote HTTP source will likely be much less different.
Some I can think of:  We now have just added support in 1.6.0 for
non-anonymous FTP, so the user can input username/password if
necessary-- useful for access to a private beta repository.  We have
supported Passive FTP as an option.  With HTTP access, we might also add
HTTP proxy features.  These all require frontend user preferences.

There will almost certainly be additional work for the frontends when we
add HTTP support, though not as different as you fear might be.

To understand the design decisions for InstallMgr, you have to have a
basic understanding of the SWORD API:

Libraries of modules are exposed as SWMgr objects.
An SWMgr object can be easily created from a local path:

SWMgr localLibrary("/path");

So for local sources, you don't need InstallMgr to obtain an SWMgr object.

InstallMgr has a new object: InstallSource which houses the
configuration information for a remote source and can give back an SWMgr
object which represents that remote library.

InstallMgr provides new SWMgr features useful when writing an install
client like: compare 2 SWMgr objects and tell you which books are new,
old, updated, etc.

InstallMgr can install TO an SWMgr.  This sounded like a clever idea, as
an SWMgr has the concept of a 'primary path', but in hindsite, we only
will probably ever support installing TO a local directory, so this has
added confusion.  The use case was:

SWMgr defaultLocalSWORDLibrary;
installMgr.installModule(&defaultLocalSWORDLibrary, "D:\\", "KJV");

But this is too simplistic a use case to be practical.

Due to backward compatibility, my least favourite interface in
InstallMgr is:

(for history, it used to be, at a time we only supported CD (well,
local) installations:

int InstallMgr::installModule(SWMgr *destMgr, const char *fromLocation,
const char *modName);
// which I don't hate

)

/** call to install a module from a local path (fromLocation) or remote
InstallSource (is) (leave the other 0)
  */
int InstallMgr::installModule(SWMgr *destMgr, const char *fromLocation,
const char *modName, InstallSource *is = 0);

So, InstallMgr can either install FROM a local path (historically the
initial impl), or remote InstallSource.

When we decide to majorly break backward compatibility for the interface
cleanup and remove all deprecated methods, InstallSource will probably
get a c-tor(const char *path), and the 2nd parameter will just go away.

Hope this alleviates some of your design concerns and helps you
understand the historical thinking behind the decisions.

	-Troy.