[sword-devel] autogen.sh (was: Re: Autotools Bug? )

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Wed May 13 15:01:52 MST 2009

/* sorry for spelling mistake autogen.sh */

Gnome = jhbuild

KDE = scons

Gnu Project = full-blown auto-foo

git = make

Me = dpkg-buildpackage (beat that ;-) )

Now lets turn over to Google Trends [1]:

I think that complele GNU Autotools toolchain is on the decline and
people are seeking less complexity, more profiliation or higher level
obstraction. You would not believe how many thinks are using just low
level makefiles (prime example git).

Now lets look at google codesearch:

File:autogen scores - 28,300
File:setup.py scores - 33,200
File:configure scores - 414,000
File:Makefile scores - 2,980,000

I don't believe that 1 autogen is proportional to 14.6 configures and
105 makefiles. From this codesearch trend I can only suggest to drop
UI. That is from autogen.sh to go down to configure, if you can....

For example by default you just run "make" to build git. [4] They are
using make to generate configure LOL =DDDDD

I guess this is a challenge for Jonathan (for such a long thread) can
you "make" sword without any fancy "autogen" (you dismissed it) and
without "autoreconf" cause none of us heard of it before =DDDD

You know "make it". You are allowed an autoconf generated /.configure
as in git example. Additional constrains: Zero functionality loss and
improved build time please =D.

[1] http://www.google.com/trends?q=scons,+automake|autoconfig|autoconf|autogen|autotools,+distutils&ctab=0&geo=all&date=all&sort=0

[2] http://www.google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=file:autogen&sbtn=Search

[3] http://google.com/codesearch?hl=en&lr=&q=file:configure&sbtn=Search