[sword-devel] Autotools Bug?

Dmitrijs Ledkovs dmitrij.ledkov at gmail.com
Mon May 11 18:43:18 MST 2009

2009/5/12 Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com>:

> Because there are some people who have no desire to learn anything
> about autotools because they think it's a terribly broken, hideously
> narrow-minded and inherently anti-cross-platform build tool, and so
> have never head of autoreconf.  Making autogen.sh call autoreconf is
> fine, but personally I have no idea when I should call that versus
> calling autools/automake/etc, so if something has a configure.ac or
> configure.in but no autogen.sh or bootstrap.sh or similar, I just give
> up and go find a different library.
>
> --Greg

Totally and utterly agree 100%  it's even annoying when you download a
python app and then forced to use setup.py for building / isntallation
but use a Makefile for documentation. Consistency is important IMHO so
you should have some very valid reasons if you want to break the UI
for building your software.

I think it is a good choice of word to call "autogen && ./configure &&
make && make install && make clean" UI from this point of view I hope
the reasoning is quite obvious.

--
With best regards

Dmitrijs Ledkovs (for short Dima),