[sword-devel] SWORD 1.6.x Localization (Ps 151)

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Thu May 7 20:48:53 MST 2009

On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 3:11 AM, Greg Hellings <greg.hellings at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:33 AM, jonathon <jonathon.blake at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 01:42, Greg Hellings  wrote:
>>> as it is in my NRSV, as are 148-150.  There is no mention of 151, but I have no idea if it's one of the ones sort of wedged into their otherwise strange versification.
>>
>> There are two major v11n schemes for Psalms.  The one that Jews use,
>> and the one that Protestants use.  The Jerusalem Bible lists both v11n
>> schemes.
>
> The same goes for other books.  However, if those are the two
> divisions, clearly that leaves the other traditions using something
> either between them, hybridized between them or different yet again.
> It's quite clear that the Jerusalem Bible translators and editors took
> great liberty in the identification and rearrangement of their
> material.  There are quite a few places where verses, phrases, etc are
> reorganized at the translator's whim, some of which I documented.

If you really wish to match a print version exactly, you will also
need to reckon with translations like Moffat's that decide to try and
put books like Jeremiah in historical order, meaning you still use the
chapter and verse numbers from (probably) KJV but chapters are split
and sections are reordered (I'm not really sure it's wise to do it
this way, though, since it makes it much harder to find what you are
looking for in a print Bible and is probably non-obvious in a computer
Bible, not to mention giving interesting results with frontends that
decide to display a chapter at a time (I don't think Moffat's is quite
this bad, but what is a chapter if you have 2: 7 - 9 followed by 5: 3
- 4 followed by 7, 8 and 9 followed by 2: 10 - 12?)

Jon