[sword-devel] SWORD 1.6.x LOCALIZATION HELP WANTED

Troy A. Griffitts scribe at crosswire.org
Tue May 5 13:58:48 MST 2009

Hope the ALL CAPS gets through your spam filters.

Now that we're on the brink of releasing the 1.6.x branch publicly, and
we've nailed down the v11n systems to include, we could really use help
updating the locale files to include information to take advantage of
the new alternate versification (av11n) feature.

1.6.x uses a new locale format which replaces the old system of using
book numbers with OSIS book names.

Work to convert the existing locales has already taken place and is
included in the 1.6.0RC3 package.

What is NOT included are translations and abbreviations of the new book
names from the new versification systems we are releasing in 1.6.0.
This means that these books will appear in English until translations
are provided.

I've updated the locale template which is included in our source tree at:

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/doc/translation-template.conf

Included is an #Apocr comment which separates the old book names above
it, from the new book names below.  Also included is a new updated and
expanded commentary on how to tune your locale abbreviations to better
parse input from users.

The existing locales can be seen in SVN here:

http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/locales.d/

Please submit any updated locales, and be sure to try them first with:

sword/tests/parsekey jn1.1 <your_locale_abbrev>

to be sure the sanity check tests pass.

If you get them in to me soon, they might even get bundled in 1.6.0!

Thank you for making SWORD usable by so many people groups!

	-Troy.