[sword-devel] 3 John 1:14-15 (versification) in existing SWORD modules

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Sat May 2 22:59:39 MST 2009

On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 6:41 PM, David Haslam <d.haslam at ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
> Online editions of several Spanish Bibles have the 3 John verse 15 as the
> reference for the second part of what in the KJV is in verse 14.
>
> Example: The 1858 Reina Valera NT has (e.g. at the Unbound Bible site)
>
> 13.     Yo tenia muchas cosas que escribir[te:] empero no quiero escribirte
> por tinta y pluma:
> 14.     Porque espero verte en breve, y hablarémos boca á boca.
> 15.     Paz [sea] contigo. Los amigos te saludan. Saluda tú á los amigos por
> nombre.
>
> Whereas our existing SWORD module SpaVNT actually combines the text of verse
> 15 into verse 14, in order to match the KJV versification scheme. Viz.
>
> 13 Yo tenia muchas cosas que escribir[te:] empero no quiero escribirte por
> tinta y pluma:
> 14 Porque espero verte en breve, y hablarémos boca á boca. Paz [sea]
> contigo. Los amigos te saludan. Saluda tú á los amigos por nombre.
>
> The introduction of Alternate Versification for the next release of the
> SWORD API should therefore prompt these questions:
>
> 1. Which existing SWORD modules actually use such a workaround for this
> verse and in other similar places?
> 2. Were these workarounds done by CrossWire, or found as part of the source
> text cited in the module info.
>
> If we wish to be faithful to versification of the original translations, all
> existing SWORD modules should be reviewed.

At present AFAIK no existing SWORD based software properly supports
av11n (with the possible exception of diatheke), and none of the
developers I have talked to about it have put it at the top of their
priority list.  Given the lengthy waits for modules that have been
experienced in the past until all platforms support it it would be
surprising if this policy was now abandoned.  It has been clear from
the reports of different developers using SVN and RCs that building
against SWORD 1.6 and supporting alternate versification are two
completely different things, so just using a MinVersion will not fix
the problem.

Jon