[sword-devel] Question about Public Domain

Tonny Kohar tonny.kohar at gmail.com
Mon Mar 16 17:57:05 MST 2009

Hi,

On Tue, Mar 17, 2009 at 4:05 AM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Tonny Kohar wrote:
>
>> People who distribute it
>> (spread the Word) does not fall into must providing the source if
>> someone ask and do not need to read complicated licensing things,
>> that's why I choose PD. The GPL part I do not like is that the license
>> require anybody who distribute must provide a source when someone ask,
>
> I think you have misunderstood this. GPL offers options: either you
> distribute the source code when you distribute the binaries - which should
> not be problem because you are already distributing data anyways - OR you
> give a written offer to distribute the source code to anyone who asks.
>
> If you add the source code to the distribution memory stick or cd or
> whatever, you are free from other obligations.

Yes, that also my understanding as well regarding GPL. This is the
strength (make sure it keep open) and the weakness (viral nature and
must provide source when non-techie distribute GPL application)  for
GPL application. In reality usually nobody will ask the source from
non-techie (missionary, preachers, evangelist, etc) distributor, they
usually go directly to the website of the original project to get the
source code, however the legal case still put that burden into those
distributors.

Anyways, if really required I will not hesitate to turn Alkitab to GPL.

And regarding PD, yes I relinquish all my right (copyright or
whatever) to my program (Alkitab), just use it as you may seem fit
(whatever God lead you to do with it). The important things, that
people should understand only my part is PD, the rest (libraries, some
icons) is under different license eg: JSword lib is LGPL, Lucene is
Apache License, etc

Cheers
Tonny Kohar
--