[sword-devel] [sword-support] deuterocanonical support

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 19:42:37 MST 2009

On Mon, Mar 16, 2009 at 10:41 AM, Chris Little <chrislit at crosswire.org>wrote:

> Barry Drake wrote:
>
>> Hi Chris .......
>>
>> Chris Little wrote:
>>
>>> We plan to have this ready for our next release
>>>
>> This is the most fantastic exciting news.  I've been carefully following
>> all Troy's and your recent svn commits.  Thanks for all the great work.
>>

> It's all coming along very nicely, and I should be able to make an
> announcement and post some example content using a non-KJV versification
> "Real Soon Now".

Can I please plead not to have this in this release?  Please? I want to see
a release.  Currently trunk seems relatively stable for usual modules, so
I'd like to see a release (once a couple of patches of mine have been
committed...)

A major problem with alternate versification is there currently isn't any
way to map between different versification schemes - which is very important
for parallel views, etc. Also, quite a lot of code assumes things like 2
testaments - I'd like to give these a little time to migrate.

>  On another issue: I've just sent Matthew Talbert my Phillips NT module to
>> demonstrate verse linking.  What available modules use this?  And is it
>> Sword policy to stay with linked verses?  Xiphos and BibleDesktop don't
>> handle them - Matthew had no idea they existed!  BibleCS handles them OK and
>> so does BibleTime so something needs to be clarified somewhere if they are
>> to be supported.  Maybe you could clarify on all the lists?
>>

> If I recall correctly, there's something broken about verse linking at the
> moment (possibly just an osis2mod bug) but we will definitely be keeping it
> in SWText/SWCom-based content (which is almost all Bibles & commentaries). I
> couldn't tell you which specific modules use linking, but I would guess it
> might be used to some degree (often sporadically or seldom) in about 10% of
> our library. It's really just a function of the API as it is intended to be
> used. That is, while iterating through a module with ++, you're really
> iterating through unique entries rather than through sequential verse refs.

It's not quite this simple - at least if you want to do it properly.
Firstly, bibles have this turned off by default (this is the *only*
difference I can see between swcom and swtext apart from comments...
otherwise all the code looks like it has been duplicated) . Secondly, you
don't get proper verse numbers.
I've just been making bpbible so that it handles linked verses, so it now
shows verse numbers like 1-3, 5-6, etc.

It seems to happen in commentaries, but I haven't seen it in Bibles (except
for the test ones I have generated).

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,