[sword-devel] encryption and integrity checking.

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Wed Mar 11 02:04:00 MST 2009

One of the problems which has come up again and again when discussing
with publishers has been the worry that texts which are released to
CrossWire become an easy target for abuse - either commercial abuse with
texts of some commercial importance or, more worrying to me at least -
manipulation of texts by cults and other entities.

What possible solutions could we offer to provide text encryption and
integrity checking in a plausible way which would not violate GPL and
goes beyond our current practice of simply incorporating a key into the
conf files?

This is a serious and important question. I am aware of several texts
which we did not get or where people hesitate because this is not
possible right now.

Peter