[sword-devel] Tagging verses and verse lists

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 9 06:16:34 MST 2009

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:
> The thread I pull up here has some relevance
>
> 1) it was never concluded in theory and certainly no conclusions ever
> put into practice
> 2) With more and more applications becoming crossplatform there will be
> a growing and quite reasonable expectation by users to switch
> applications and be able to make use of their old bookmarks in some form.
> 3) looking at the wiki page on comparison, it is clear that there is a
> semblance of practical consensus between the various implementations of
> the feature
>
> a) bookmarks should be hierarchical,
> b) should be user editable/arrangable,
> c) should allow for some comment
> d) should allow both bulk addition via searches and by-hand addition
> e) should be exportable/sharable

I'll add to this:
f) Should support passages, not just individual verses (the definition
of a passage is interesting - after looking at my notes that I take,
I'm inclined to extend it to any collection of verses, not just a
continuous passage, and will probably change it to that in BPBible
0.4.1).

Feel free to dispute, but it makes sense to me.

> Eeli suggested in this thread that an editable GenBook with some special
> features is the overarching  best representation. I agree with this and
> suggested the same on gnomesword-devel, where Eeli referred me back to
> this old thread.
>
> So, is it time to resume the debate and bring it to a conclusion?

I don't believe it is possible to conclude in practice (or even in
theory), since that would be assuming that there is one solution that
will suit all needs.  I can 95% guarantee that some of the things I
want to do will not be interesting to others or just plain will not be
implemented.  That being the case, I prefer to implement what I
believe to be the right thing or just an idea I have in mind without
being fettered by any compatibility or anything.  If it turns out to
be a dead end then I have only wasted my time.