[sword-devel] Poetry and indented lines

DM Smith dmsmith at crosswire.org
Sun Mar 8 20:54:41 MST 2009

On Nov 4, 2008, at 3:50 AM, Ben Morgan wrote:

> I've been improving the layout of poetry in BPBible. Many Bibles
> have poetry with two levels of lines, with one level more indented
> than others. (If you don't know what I'm getting at, look at the
> attached screenshot from BPBible)
>
> When I first implemented this, I did it for the ESV.
> The ESV marks this second (indented) level as l type="x-indent", and
> doesn't mark the first at all.
> It also has type="x-declares" for "Declares the Lord" type lines
> which are indented even further.
>
> Then I looked at the WEB. It does it differently.
> It has l type="x-primary" for the unindented level and l type="x-
> secondary" for the indented level.
>
> Are there any other ways used to mark these lines?
> Is there a standard way to mark these in OSIS? If not, I think there
> should be as it is quite a common practice.

Ben,

Sorry for the late reply. I was so busy with my daughter's wedding
that SWORD stuff was put on hold. And a lot of stuff got missed.

I encoded the ESV. I freely used the x- types to map the markup I
found in the ESV source to be somewhat lossless. I was rather
inventive and was in no way trying to come up with a "standard" way of
doing something. I don't think we should use any of the x-attributes
as a standard way of doing markup, unless after discussion here we
agree to it and we document it in www.crosswire.org/wiki/OSIS_Bibles.

With regard to OSIS, if there are short-comings, we should try to
influence the standard. This is a proper venue for how we at CrossWire
would like to work with OSIS.

Regarding the <l> element and indents here is what the manual has to
say:
l: The l element is used to mark separate lines in a lg (line group)
element. This will be most commonly used in the encoding of poetry.

The level attribute takes a positive integer value that indicates
which line in a line group is being encoded. This can be used in
processing to insure proper indentation of lines.

If I understand this right, the level attribute should be used to
indicate the depth of indentation. Perhaps level="1" and level not
being specified should mean the same thing. And ESV should be re-coded
to have it properly set.

(I'd like Chris' input!)

In Him,
	DM