[sword-devel] [Wiki Frontend comparison] Proximity searches

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 1 01:33:33 MST 2009

On 01/03/2009, Peter von Kaehne <refdoc at gmx.net> wrote:

> It appears that all clucene/lucene capable frontends can do proximity
> searches. BpBible exposes this via its GUI, others rely on the
> clucene/lucene syntax.
>
> Q: Is there anything particular about bpbible's proximity searches or do I
> simply use the wrong syntax?
>
> I get on the ABU in xiphos for the following search "god love"~15 32
> results, but on bpbible with a proximity search limited to 15 words distance
> I get 56 hits.

BPBible's proximity is an approximation based on some average length of word
(~5 letters, I think... - though it may be calculated from the module). So
results may not be directly comparable.

Looking at the list I am find only single verse references in xiphos, but my
> understanding is that crossboundary searches should be possible.
>
> What am I doing wrong? Or is in fact crossboundary search not possible in
> other frontends?

I don't believe proper crossboundary search is possible (as lucene has
documents). BPBible also allows (for example) phrases to cross verse
boundaries. I don't think any of the others do.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,
    in the valley of decision!