[sword-devel] Heads and Titles

Chris Little chrislit at crosswire.org
Tue Jun 2 15:06:16 MST 2009

Ted Janiszewski wrote:
> Could someone well-versed in the OSIS spell out for me the difference
> between <head> and the various types of <title> elements?  It sort of
> looks as though the community changed direction on the best practices
> for titling books and chapters halfway through writing the latest manual.

I see that there are a lot of errors in the manual with respect to the
<head> element. Most references to the use of <head> should actually
refer to <title>.

Luckily there's no potential for actual ambiguity in the use of the
schema with respect to <head> and <title>. The two can never occur in
the same types of elements. <head> can only occur within <castGroup>,
different elements, and represents titles in the sense you're thinking
of (book, chapter, section, etc. titles).

Just be certain to run your document through a validator and it will be
able to identify any errors relating to the choice between these two
elements.

--Chris