[sword-devel] sword-devel Digest, Vol 64, Issue 25

Steven DeRose sderose at speakeasy.net
Wed Jul 29 07:41:47 MST 2009

Having worked with other publishers, I imagine the reason the some
don't want to deal with open source products is that it's easy to get
the data out. That is, if someone wanted a copy to do anything at all
with, they could buy one copy, and then modify whatever app is
involved to export the whole thing into any format they wanted.

In reality, this is not just an open-source problem. Any application
that lets you view the data at all, lets you copy it. By definition.
Someone who wants to copy a copy-protected work can use a screen-
scraper, or spend a few hours to cut-and-paste the text of each book
or chapter individually (whatever the company's web interface lets you
see at once), or write a script to gather the whole text up
automatically. Once one person has done that, they can post the whole
thing and the horse is out of the barn. It's in principle impossible
to prevent someone from copying something you let them see.

A publisher could decide to only show the text as bitmapped images of
it; but you can still OCR that unless they make it unusably ugly.
There have been business plans to control copying by requiring use of
a special browser, but of course that won't fly, and if such a browser
did become popular someone somewhere would quickly hack it anyway.

Nevertheless the attempt to enforce copyright via technology is
unlikely to go away, and so it's unlikely you'd be able to negotiate
rights to popular recent translations.

The good news, as others have pointed out, is that as more high-
quality free translations appear the pressure on for-profit
translations increases (for this purpose, either "free as in beer" or
"free as in freedom" helps). It's hard to maintain market dominance in
the long term when you charge but the alternatives are free; but in
the short-term inertia counts for a lot.

Steve

PS: I've been adding direct links from my list of about 420 English
translations at http://www.derose.net/steve/Bible, to Google Books and
other sources; you can get at a lot of older translations that way,
including many not available in any Bible tools I know of). Although
unaccountably Google Books doesn't seem willing to give you the whole
text at once, even when you can get it all in chunks of several
chapters each.