[sword-devel] bindings

Ben Morgan benpmorgan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 03:31:05 MST 2009

I'd guess you forgot one step in the building to get that particular error
message; the instructions are here:
http://crosswire.org/svn/sword/trunk/bindings/swig/README

In particular, this step was missing:

make pythonswig

(not make python_swig as stated in the readme - I guess that needs fixing)

However, once you do this, you'll find it doesn't work. The bindings have
been broken by the changes for alternate versification.

We really need to have a 1.5.12 without alternate versification support, but
including new filter support plus some patches. Minor releases shouldn't
break existing software (or at least, not much). I'm not sure how much would
need to change in BPBible, but quite a lot of code would (for example,
VerseKeys should no longer exist without a module...).

And then after 1.5.12 we can have 1.6 or (better) 2.0. Better version
numbering schemes seem to be something that lots of people want - and the
schemes have already been suggested, so there isn't a lot of work in this -
and SWORD might as well fit in with established standards.

God Bless,
Ben
Multitudes, multitudes,
   in the valley of decision!