[sword-devel] Greek dictionary - input needed

Jonathan Morgan jonmmorgan at gmail.com
Mon Jan 19 04:10:49 MST 2009

On Mon, Jan 19, 2009 at 9:40 PM, Eeli Kaikkonen
<eekaikko at mail.student.oulu.fi> wrote:
> Quoting Daniel Owens <dhowens at pmbx.net>:
>> I have a technical question, though. We will be using SIL's MDF markers
>> (similar to USFM) for the source file which can then be transformed
>> into TEI or other formats for various uses. I am thinking that each
>> entry should include Strong's number(s), the lexical form, and
>> Goodrick-Kohlenberger number(s). The G-K numbers seem to be a modern
>> replacement for Strong's.
>
> My guess is that G-K must be forgotten because it's copyrighted. The list of
> number/word connections is a creative work.
>
> The whole idea of using Strong's or other numbers with computer software is
> strange. We have discussed about this before, but I repeat that numbers are
> needless because computers are able to do the searches and to show correct
> entries in a dictionary without numbers. The problem in getting rid of them
> is that people are so used to them that they think they give some extra
> value to software/modules, and some people are used to reading the numbers
> and can't live without them.
>
> Numbers are of course good if you need to use external material, too
> (printed books). Therefore they are useful and even necessary in
> electronical resources. But you shouldn't use G-K without asking the
> copyright holder.

Also, if you are using a module like our KJV it is using Strong's
Numbers internally (though you are welcome to then display the word
rather than the number, which BPBible does though I doubt it does it
perfectly).

Another problem that you will probably run into with the Greek is that
the different texts have a different vocabulary.  The KJV and the NKJV
are based on the Textus Receptus, and as a result Strongs Numbers are
also based on the Textus Receptus vocabulary.  If you look at the
introduction to a version of Thayer's Lexicon keyed to Strongs Numbers
but based on a different text you will find some words not present at
all, and others added with numbers like (1234a), meaning that it is a
word not in the Textus Receptus, but in whatever text is used as the
basis of Thayers.  This might make it harder to use Strong's Numbers
or something similar as a universal keying standard (we really need
multiple keys for such dictionaries - maybe Strong's Numbers for
programmatic lookup (and people if they really insist), as well as
Greek and probably transliterated Greek like Strong's Dictionary has).

Jon