[sword-devel] CrossWire wiki vandalism?

Peter von Kaehne refdoc at gmx.net
Thu Jan 8 01:27:26 MST 2009

Eeli Kaikkonen wrote:
> Quoting DM Smith <dmsmith555 at yahoo.com>:
>
>> If necessary I can add captcha to every edit and to every page creation.
>
> Please, never! I'll stop using wiki at that phase.

I second Eeli here.

I wonder further whether it might simply make more sense to restrict
account creation and make it require human involvement from our side.

One of the really easily implemented ways of doing this would be
restriction of all editing to someone who has SysOp status, but then
make everyone bonafide a SysOp.

The privileges of SysSop are so limited (and can IIRC be made more
limited) that I would have little fear that it could result in problems.
You might want to widen then the circle of buerocrats in turn to avoid a
logjam.

The Wiki is good for us because it allows easy editing by a wide circle
of people. But there is no logical reason that this wide circle includes
everyone recently walked off the street. It is meant for people who
contribute in a valid way somehwere in the project.

Peter